Friday, August 20, 2010

A Tough Topic

I've been debating whether to write about this or not,but I feel like I need to clear my head a bit,and perhaps it will be cathartic.

Last week,an old friend of mine,committed suicide. Shock doesn't even begin to describe how I felt at finding out the news. In fact,a week later,shock still doesn't cut it.

I met Jessica when my family was attending Faith Baptist Church. To say I didn't have a lot of friends is an understatement. I was rather lonely and struggling to fit in with the other girls in youth group. Jessica ,sweet,vibrant soul that she was walked into my life at a perfect time,and became my only real friend at FBC. She was so FUN!She made you feel like the most important person in the world. So vivacious,full of life. She made me laugh,her smile lit up a room.

We kept in touch after I left FBC,through marriages and children,and enjoyed chatting on FB when we had a chance,even meeting up after her 2nd daughter was born. We had plans to get together when I came home this Winter. She had such a sweet soul,and a servants heart. Jessica was married,and mother to 2 beautiful girls,and 1 stepson. She was a wonderful mother,a loving wife,and a fantastic friend.

In the wake of this tragedy,so many people are left wondering..why? How did this happen? What was going on in her life?

I think there are some things we can learn from this. I know the Lord is using this situation to do His work,and there is comfort in that. We have to guard our hearts against the enemy. If he suspects there is an opening for him to slip into,he will take it in a heartbeat. Then,he will be there first thing in the morning,last thing at night,and every spare moment in between telling you lies about yourself. Don't let this happen! Hold fast to your faith. Hold fast to the knowledge that the Ultimate Healer,the Alimighty died on the cross for your sins! This life is temporary,a fleeting moment,a vapor. We are not supposed to be overly satisfied or happy on this Earth. This is not our HOME. We have to get focused on the kingdom of Heaven,on our eternal life!

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.)

I want to ask for prayers for Jessica's family,including her husband and children,as they discover God's new plan for their lives.





1 comment:

Christa said...

I'll keep her family in my prayers, and thank you for sharing that bible verse. I really needed it!