Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Wow, Pacey man is 13 months old today! I can hardly believe it. We met him at 10 months old,and boy has he grown!

On the weight/height department,he has gained 4 pounds ( I think it's more at this point,but we need a weigh-in),and grown 2 inches. Not bad for 8 weeks!

He is still primarily formula fed,but we are slowly weaning him onto more table food. He sits with us at dinner every night and eats a little bit of whatever we have. Tonight,it was a meatball and green beans. He seems to chew well,and luckily,doesn't seem to hold or hide food in his mouth. Since bottle feeding is very important for bonding,we are going to stick with it for a while longer. He can drink out of a sippy cup,but I'm not pushing it right now.

Also,his top 2 teeth came in,so he has 4 teeth now. I'm suspecting that there will be more shortly,but I haven't seen anything yet.

Physically,he is growing by leaps and bounds. My goodness. Something new every day! I love it. He is creeping up on his hands and knees. AND! He learned how to sign eat! On the one hand,I feel like a meanie sometimes because I do not let him sit around during the day at all. If he is awake,he is doing something. It might just be listening to classical music and sitting in the bouncer playing,but he is not left to dither. And,yes, I make him work hard. After his morning nap,we do pretty intensive physical therapy to help his body get stronger. Nope. He doesn't really enjoy some of it,but we do it anyway.

We're trying to work on some of his (many) sensory issues,but it's a one day at a time thing. He is starting to use his hands more,and we are giving him sensory input as much as we can. We started doing the Wilbarger bushing protocol,which is using a surgical brush to brush his arms,legs,and back with pressure. Then we do joint compressions,and give him deep pressure on his body. He doesn't like it,and occasionally I can get the girls to entertain him and distract,but otherwise,he screams. However,we are seeing results,and as soon as it's over,I try to do something fun that he likes to do.

I am slowly starting to see some light in this tunnel. Not gonna lie,it's been hard as heck. I still don't know what I'm doing most days,but I am trying as hard as I can. I think Pacey is starting to understand who I am,but we are still guarding him very closely,and not allowing others to pick him up or show him affection. We are working with a number of therapists and they have been told not to make continuous eye contact,or show him any affection during sessions. They show me what to do,and then I follow through.

We are also working a number of angels on the stimming. Sigh. It's just exhausting some days. It does seem to be improving,though...maybe.

I can't wait to hit month 3,and see how much farther he has come. Thank you God,for what you have done,and what you are going to do.

My loves on Father's Day!












No comments: